If you do want to grow your own, please check out http://farm-a-yard.com
When you grow your own, you don't have to (and probably can't) grow everything you eat. But you can grow the things you eat most often, and supplement with the farmer's market.
Here's a review of why farm markets are marvelous!
- Time to table - you can only get fresher growing or picking your own. Less spoilage before you eat it means you save money and gain nutrition.
- Low carbon footprint - local food travels less.
- Keeps your money local - you spend less and there's no distribution chain, so your money goes direct to the farmer.
- Wider variety - heirlooms and odd varieties you can't get in stores.
- Healthier - volatile nutrients are still available, variety in your diet, fresher food, and so on.
- Encourages eating your veggies - give kids a veggie budget and let them get what they want to eat.
Some farms also have farmstands!! And you can trade cash for your neighbor's extra produce on SeedVoyage.com.
If you spot a local farmstand, add it to the comments!